We're here to help — updated & extended services to aid during these uncertain times. Learn more
Transporting exotic pets can be tricky. Unlike a cat or dog, moving unique pets such as birds, reptiles, rodents, and fish require more thought and preparation. You need to consider your pet’s safety and how to protect them during transport. Even the outside temperature can have an effect. Our moving company in Kelowna is here to help with some moving tips to help you get your precious pet to its new home in the safest way possible.
Before your Kelowna movers arrive to pick up your belongings, it’s essential to take the proper precautions to prepare your pet for a move.
1. Get your pet checked over by a veterinarian. Make sure all vaccinations, medications, and accompanying paperwork are current.
2. Maintain their routine. Reduce your pet’s stress by sticking to regular feeding schedules, and make sure to keep them away from any hustle and bustle when you’re packing and cleaning.
3. Check the requirements. If moving long-distance, such as across the border, with an exotic pet, see what permits are required. Many countries have rules and regulations for moving exotic pets.
4. Check what the weather and road conditions are going to be like on your moving day. Leaving a pet too long in extreme heat or cold can affect their health and can cause death.
5. Stock up on treats, and look for containers in which to store water.
6. Look for the right carrier to transport your pet (see our guideline below).
7. Look for movers in Kelowna that can safely transport your pet’s tank, terrarium, hutch, or cage.
8. Keep your pet calm by placing them in a quiet room while your Kelowna movers work.
9. Bring your pet with you when it’s time to move.
Use a small cage to transport your bird and cover it with a tea towel to prevent stress. Do not place your bird in front of air conditioning vents or2. Pack your plants. Instead, bring them with you inside your vehicle with plenty of water to keep them hydrated.
Place your fish in a Ziploc bag or container with clean water and enough surface room. Keep the water temperature even and aerated and do not place your fish near any chemicals.
Frogs, turtles, and other amphibians:
All large mammals should be transported in an appropriate trailer with adequate room and cover from outdoor elements. The trailer should also be well-ventilated.
Place all amphibians inside a clear plastic container. Maintain humidity by lining the bottom of the container with a damp paper towel.
Horses, llamas, large mammals:
All large mammals should be transported in an appropriate trailer with adequate room and cover from outdoor elements. The trailer should also be well-ventilated. Place your fish in a Ziploc bag or container with clean water and enough surface room. Keep the water temperature even and aerated and do not place your fish near any chemicals.
Frogs, turtles, and other amphibians:
Transport your mammal inside a special pet carrier or cage. Reduce your pet’s stress and soak up waste by lining the carrier or cage with a towel or layered newspaper.
Snakes and lizards:
Put your snake or lizard inside an appropriate box or container with a lid. Puncture small holes in the box to allow for oxygen. Line the bottom of the container with newspaper. Place a damp sponge inside to maintain moisture. Do not leave your snake or lizard inside a too hot or cold vehicle.
Use a small transport container and seal it properly to prevent any escapes.
Ensure your pet is protected by proofing your home against hazards. Allow your pet to settle in by placing them in a quiet space. Allow them to get used to their surroundings before letting them out of their cage or other enclosure. Continue with their daily routines and pay them lots of attention.
For more moving tips, read The Do's and Dont's on Staying Cool During a Move.
Bekins Kelowna is one of the most trusted moving companies in Kelowna for local, long-distance, and specialty moving. Contact us for a free estimate and ask about our packing and storage services.