How to Protect Your Office Art
Posted on May 29, 2017
Office movers take extra in protecting your artworks before, during, and after a move.
Office movers will help you take care of that painting, sculpture, canvas or print.
Most offices like to brighten their spaces with original art. Some offices even have art collections appraised to have high value.
Protecting your art is especially important if you are relocating to a new office.
Your office movers should do their best to protect those precious canvasses and fragile figures, but for an especially fragile or expensive piece of art, or if moving a large group of paintings, your commercial movers should also be able to supply you with designed cartons or wooden crates that provide extra protection to ensure the safety of your art during the move.
Here are some tips on protecting your art for a move.
Mind that Monet
Fragile is an understatement if you are moving anything with glass.
Whether it’s an original landscape by one of the Group of Seven or a collection of contemporary abstracts by an artist on the rise, you need your office movers to handle these pieces with the utmost care:
- Make an X with masking tape across the glass from one edge of the frame to the other. This helps in case the frame does break so the glass shards will stick to the tape ad won’t damage your painting
- Place cardboard corners on each edge of the frame
- Wrap the entire painting in bubble wrap, with the bubbles facing out, and the flat side against your frame
- Seal all the seams with packing tape
- Find a cardboard box that just fits the painting, and wrap the filled box with bubble wrap and tape it shut
- Place in another box that is just a little larger – make sure the bottom of the box is secure and seal the whole box with tape
- Mark the box as fragile - art
Packing the Chihuly
With their odd sizes, shapes and fragile construction, sculptures and other three-dimensional art pieces require extra care. If the sculpture comes as part of a set, or has any removable pieces, make sure you wrap each piece individually.
Some sculptures, especially those made of stone such as marble can be incredibly heavy, so make sure you take extra care when preparing it for your office movers.
- Find a box that is at least one-third larger than the piece is bubble wrapped
- Fill the box by one-third with small Styrofoam peanuts
- Wrap your piece in bubble wrap, tape it, and then place it in the box upright
- Fill the top with more Styrofoam peanuts. Make sure the piece is not touching the sides of the box
- Seal the box tightly with tape
- Mark the box as mark fragile – art
Don’t limit your limited edition
Unlike fragile glass or stone, prints and canvasses tend to be a bit more durable. However, you still want to make sure your wood or foam-backed canvasses, unframed paintings, prints or photographs don’t snap, bend or buckle before your office movers arrive.
- Wear gloves or wash your hands before handling your print or canvas
- For an unframed painting, print or photograph, wrap in acid-free paper
- Find cardboard sheets or a thin cardboard box that you can place around the print or canvas, tape the edges
- For large canvasses, wrap in bubble wrap before placing inside the box
- Mark each item as fragile - art
Are you moving to a new office? Read our blog, Office Movers Insight: The Benefits of Office Relocation.
Bekins Moving and Storage is one of the Kelowna moving companies your office can trust to safely move your artwork, furniture and files to a new location. As accredited office movers, we offer content packing and unpacking as well as wood crating services and fragile/breakable packing services to ensure everything arrives in good condition.