Get in the Zone: Use this Moving Checklist to Deal with a Last Minute Move
Posted on February 16, 2018
Enter The Moving Zone by being prepared for a last minute move with this moving checklist.
Moving last minute can feel like you’ve entered The Twilight Zone.
In the middle ground between order and chaos,
between reality and sanity,
it lies between the pit of all humanity’s fears
and the summit of their knowledge.
This is the dimension of utter panic.
It is an area which we call the moving zone.
In a short period of time, you’re forced to tend to what feels like about 1,000 things.
For all the things you have to do, let us ease your mind by offering this moving checklist to help you prepare and be ready to settle into your new home:
Spur of the moment
If you’ve already booked your last minute movers, then at least half the battle has been won. For those who haven’t, what are you waiting for? Besides the lack of time, friends and family may not be available to help you with all the work that needs to be done before and on your moving date.
When you employ professional movers, you should ask for:
- An estimate in writing
- Liability and insurance
- Yours and their rights and responsibilities
- Set arrival time and delivery
What’s in the box?
Before you start filling those boxes, keep these packing tips in mind:
- Start with the room that has the least essential items (basement or bedroom) before you start tackling the kitchen or bathroom.
- Place heavier items at the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Label each box with what room it is intended for, and write down the contents.
- Wrap your breakables in packing paper and then place inside bubble wrap or packing peanuts.
Over and out
No time to pack? Look for moving companies that offer moving services such as content packing and unpacking. Not only do these pros arrive at your door a few days before your move date, they being all the tools of the trade with them. Including:
- Speciality cartons
- Mattress bags
- Packing paper, peanuts and other protective materials
- Packing tape
- Ramps, dollies and other specialized equipment to move heavy appliances, furniture
A final moving checklist
You’re almost there. To make life easier in your new place, make sure you have checked off these important items off your checklist:
- Informed the post office of your new address
- Contacted your municipal office and utility companies to set up new phone, TV, Internet, water, electricity and gas services
- The keys to your old place have been left and keys for your new place are in your possession
- Cleaning supplies are well stocked
- Essential items (food, drinking water, toilet paper, medications) are easy to assess
- You have dishes and cookware at hand
- You’ve brought light bulbs and tools in case anything needs fixing
- Mobile phones are charged in case landline is not working
Need some more advice with your last minute move? Read The Best Things Left to House Movers.
Bekins Kelowna Moving and Storage is one of the moving companies Vernon, BC trusts when needing to book a last-minute move. As a member of Bekins Moving & Storage and United Van Lines, we offer Vernon moving and storage services, including packing and unpacking and specialty item transportation to and from other communities in the Okanagan as well as around BC, Canada, the US, and overseas.