Life on the Move: Moving Tips for Frequent Movers
Posted on May 13, 2020
Lessen the load of moving by reducing the amount you need to pack.
Moving from town to town or from one residence to another is not that uncommon if you are a student or work in a field that requires you to change locations often. While frequent moves can be frustrating, there are ways you can make the transition easier. Use our moving tips to reduce stress and help you downsize, pack, and move more seamlessly.
Deduce to Reduce
Reducing your possessions is one way to make moving less of a chore. It also helps if you are moving to a smaller space. When cutting back, think about what you need, what you want, and what you can’t live without. Ask yourself these questions when looking at your belongings:
- Do I have any duplicate items in my kitchen?
- Will I ever reread these books?
- Can I cut back on towels, bedding, and clothing?
- Do I have expired items in my fridge or on the shelves?
- Are my kids too old for these toys?
- Will my furniture fit into my new residence?
Minimize by Digitizing
One way to lessen the load for a move is to look at all your tactile belongings and see if you can save any of them as digital files. Today’s modern world allows us to digitize just about any printed or recorded item. Some ideas include:
- Using your smartphone to take pictures of your printed photos.
- Transferring relevant documents into a secure cloud storage system.
- Converting your records or CDs into digital files.
- Using a digital reader for books or downloading recipes off the Internet.
- Ordering your films through a streaming service.
Use Storage to Your Advantage
When it comes to frequent moves, temporary or long-term storage can be a godsend. Renting a storage unit will help you clear out the things you wish to hold onto but don’t need right away. Moving companies, such as Bekins Kelowna Moving and Storage, can deliver your belongings straight from their storage warehouse to your new address, saving you valuable time.
Call for Help
While getting rid of excess stuff is essential when moving often, seeking help is another way to make your move more tolerable. Ask friends and family members to help you pack. If no one is available, or if you just don’t have time to deal with all that needs to be done, look for moving companies, such as Bekins Kelowna, that offer packing and unpacking services as well as last-minute movers that can help you in a pinch.
For more moving tips, use this Moving Checklist to Deal with a Last-Minute Move.
Are you a frequent mover? Contact Bekins Kelowna Moving and Storage to see how we can help. Our moving services include local, long-distance, and last-minute moving along with short-term and long-term storage at our warehouse facility. We also offer DIY moving services as well as on-site storage containers.