Moving companies: New Year, New You, New Move
Posted on January 08, 2021
Make the move into your new home seamless by hiring a trusted and professional moving company.
As celebrated jazz artist Nina Simone once sang: “It’s a new dawn. It’s a new day. It’s a new life… and I’m feeling good.” However, such optimism is not always the case. Moving your home or office can be a scary predicament if you don’t know where to start. Luckily, professional moving companies such as Bekins Kelowna can help you prepare, pack, and plan for any of those unexpected things that can sometimes arise. We’ll soon have you singing: “It’s a new year, a new you, and a new move, and I’m feeling good” in no time.
Where to start when planning a move
Whether you’re a first-time mover or are a moving veteran, it’s essential to be prepared for just about anything and everything. More than just chucking your belongings in boxes, moving takes careful planning. Follow these steps to get started:
- Make a budget. Once you understand your moving costs, it will be easier to manage your finances. Expenses may include hiring professional movers, moving insurance, packing supplies, storage, transportation, shipping, cleaning costs, child or pet care, time off work, etc.
- Hire a professional moving company. Book your movers as soon as you know your moving date, and make sure to get an in-person or virtual estimate so that you understand all the moving costs to add to your budget.
- Create a schedule. Making a list of all that needs to get done before your move will help you stay organized. Don’t forget to add a change of address notice to all your billers and the post office.
- Make a moving inventory. Try downloading a free moving app such as Sortly to help you figure out what to do with all your belongings before your packers and movers arrive.
- Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to seek assistance or advice from your professional movers when needed.
How to plan for the unexpected when moving
It’s inevitable when moving to expect the unexpected. All manner of things can cause disruptions to a move, from the weather to scheduling changes to logistical reasons. The best thing you can do is to prepare for them, stay calm, and carry on.
For example, if your friends or family members have to back out from helping you pack suddenly, see if your movers offer packing services.
What if your moving arrival date changes? See if your moving company can store your belongings before delivering them.
Did the moving van you booked suddenly become unavailable? Contact Bekins Kelowna for last-minute moving services.
For more moving tips, read 8 Ways to Keep Your Belongings Safe.
If you are starting 2021 with a move to a new neighbourhood or province, look no further than Bekins Kelowna Moving and Storage. As one of Kelowna’s best moving companies, we’re here to help you prepare for your move, whether it’s a few blocks away or across the country. Contact us for a free consultation and moving estimate.