Moving Company vs. Truck Rental: What's Best for Moving Items in the Cold?
Posted on November 26, 2020
A professional moving company can safely prepare and protect your items in cold weather. And best of all, they do the driving on those windy, wintry roads.
Besides driving on snow-covered roads and lifting and shifting heavy items in slippery conditions, moving in winter can produce another worry: how do you protect your belongings when temperatures hit freezing? We look at which items need protection from the cold and the pros of hiring a moving company to move your items safely when the temperature drops.
What Items are Susceptible to Cold Temperatures?
As temperatures in BC and across Canada can fluctuate from 2°C to minus double digits in winter, it’s essential to know which of your belonging are vulnerable to the cold when moving locally or long distances.
Items that are most at-risk include:
Wooden furniture: Can dry out and become brittle.
Leather goods: Can fade and become mouldy.
Electronic devices: LCD screens can freeze, batteries can drain, and wiring/components can corrode.
Musical instruments: Can warp and require extensive tuning.
Glass and crystal: Can shatter.
Appliances that contain water (fridges, washing machines, dishwashers): can freeze and expand, causing extensive damage.
How to Protect Belongings from The Cold: How Professional Movers Can Help
When it comes to protecting your belongings from the cold, hiring professional household movers has its advantages over renting a moving truck and doing it yourself.
Professional packers and movers take all the necessary precautions when the thermometer hits zero. Some of the methods Bekins Kelowna uses to protect goods from the cold include:
- Offering content packing and unpacking services to save time.
- Using specially insulated moving materials such as blankets to prepare susceptible items for transit.
- Providing professional movers and drivers to transport your belongings safely.
- Offering short-term storage in a climate-controlled facility to protect items waiting to be transported.
- Using specialized equipment to load and deliver belongings quicker and more efficiently.
- Making sure all moving trucks are equipped with snow tires and chains.
- Having member affiliation with United Van Lines, with a fleet of moving trucks and professional long distance movers across Canada.
Read Ice to Meet You: Our Top 6 Winter Moving Tips to learn more.
Contact Bekins Kelowna movers to learn more about our professional local and long-distance moving services. We offer packing, moving, and short and long-term storage services to safely protect, load, transport and deliver your belongings in all kinds of weather.