The Art of the Slow Move
Posted on February 05, 2021
Faster is not always better when it comes to moving.
In the late-1980s, Italian journalist Carlo Petrini started a culinary and agricultural movement that promoted cooking and eating locally-sourced food instead of consuming processed and fast food. Since then, the International Slow Food movement has evolved into a cultural revolution that advocates slowing one’s pace to enjoy the things that matter and eliminating stress. The Slow Movement certainly applies when it comes to moving your residence or place of business.
Join the “Slow Move” revolution with these moving tips courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood Bekins Kelowna moving company.
Using the less is more approach is a great way to start your moving journey. Start by making a moving checklist with all the things that need doing. Categorize all your to-dos. Start with the simple tasks that can be accomplished within a day or two or that simply require a phone call. Some ideas include:
- Looking for reliable moving companies and selecting the best one for your move
- Collecting boxes and containers to help you pack
- Contacting the post office with your new address
- Calling utility companies with your moving date
- Telling friends about your move
Declutter As You Go
Packing can be one of the most stressful parts of moving. However, it is also a great way to declutter. Taking your time to sort through your belongings and figuring out what to do with unwanted items will save you loads of time and make you feel good in the process. Again, start simply by following some of these ideas:
- Go through your bathroom cabinets and take expired prescriptions to your local pharmacist.
- Dispose of all old food and beauty products.
- Recycle your old or unwanted clothes by taking them to a charity shop.
- Sell your gently used furniture or appliances via an online classified site.
- Donate old children’s toys and clothes to a family in need.
- Go through your garage and shed to see if you have any tools, recreational equipment, and lawn furniture that can be either donated or sold.
Rent a Storage Container
One of the best ways to slow down and manage your move is by renting a portable storage container. Placed in your driveway or parking space, a storage container allows you to declutter and pack your belongings at your pace. Think of it as an added room where you can place and sort your belongings without the overwhelming need to clear a space in your home. It also acts as a great garage sale dispenser.
Moving in a hurry? Read our Last-Minute Move Survival Tips.
Did you know that Bekins Kelowna offers storage container rentals that can be delivered to your home or business? Keep them on your property for as long as you need them. Load them at your own pace. Have them picked up to be stored at Bekins’ secure facility in Kelowna and delivered to your new location. Contact us to learn more.