Top Reasons to Move To Kelowna: Summer Edition
Posted on August 07, 2019
This view of Okanagan Lake from the KVR Trail is just one of the many things to experience when you move to the city of Kelowna.
1. Sunshiny Days
If sparkling lakes, forested hills, and that famous Okanagan lifestyle don't attract you, the weather will. Named by the World Atlas as one of the sunniest cities in Canada, Kelowna experiences, on average, 333 days and 2,396 hours of sunshine per year. Average temperatures hit the mid-to-high 20s in the summer months, with occasional plus 30°C days.
Avoid being hot and bothered when packing for moving companies in Canada and read our 5 Tips on Keeping Cool when Moving in Summer.
2. Lake at its Centre
Once the traditional fishing grounds for the Syilx (Okanagan) people, Okanagan Lake is Kelowna's most famous landmark. Measuring 120 kilometres from the City of Vernon in the north to Penticton in the south, the lake serves numerous purposes. Okanagan Lake not only provides most of the city's drinking water, but it also serves as a recreational playground with countless public beaches, parks, boardwalks, protected natural areas, and activities.
- Scuba diving
- Watersports (waterskiing, wakeboarding, parasailing, etc.)
3. Land of Plentiful
The Okanagan is known as the fruit belt of BC. The largest producer of wines in Canada, with vineyards and wineries as far as the eye can see, fruits such as grapes, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries and a wide variety of berries are grown in abundance here. Garden and farm-to-table eating is part of the lifestyle in Kelowna. Many residents grow fruits and vegetables in their gardens or access nearby farms, farmers' markets, and wineries for fresh produce, wine, cider, and more.
4. An Outdoor Playground
Kelowna is a natural playground laden with green spaces, parks, trails, beaches, golf courses, and areas where your family can play all day in summer. Some of the top activities in summer include:
- Having a picnic atop Knox Mountain
- Biking or walking the Kettle Valley Railway and over the trestle bridges at Myra Canyon
- Going for a stroll along the Mission Creek Greenway
- Ziplining in nearby Oyama or Peachland
- Mountain biking at Myra Bellevue Provincial Park
- Taking your family pet to one of the many dog parks and beaches
- Swinging your clubs at one or more 15 champion golf courses
- Embarking on a day trip to Big White Ski Resort
- Hiking to the waterfalls at Bear Creek Provincial Park
Listed as one of the top Kelowna moving companies, Bekins Kelowna Moving and Storage offers long distance moving within Canada and BC. Our professional drivers and house movers provide door-to-door service and a high level of service that you won't find anywhere else.